As of July 1, 2018, each U.S.-based Michigan Ross alumni club is expected to annually meet nine minimum club requirements.
The requirements are meant to provide a sense of structure, program organization, and a clear set of goals for clubs to achieve (and surpass, if possible). Moreover, the minimum requirements relay Michigan Ross’s greatest club priorities that will help to ensure we are fostering a healthy alumni club program that solidly meets the needs of local alumni while representing the University of Michigan ”leaders and best” brand that all Michigan Ross alumni clubs carry.
The period for annually completing your club's minimum requirements runs from July 1 - June 30 (i.e. the academic fiscal year), and will be noted in the Annual Report for that year. *View the Minimum Requirement FAQs here for many additional details about the minimum requirements, and meeting them.
To maintain funding and alumni club status, all clubs must:
1. Maintain contact with the Michigan Ross Alumni Relations staff liaison by participating in an annual 1:1 call, responding to staff liaison requests in a timely manner, and promptly notifying the staff liaison of alumni club leadership or contact information changes.
2. Submit all club expense paperwork (including event attendance lists) in a timely manner as outlined by the Alumni Club Handbook.
3. Annually (a) submit the alumni club annual report and (b) ensure all club officers sign the University of Michigan Alumni Club data confidentiality agreement, online here, before accessing the club portal and other alumni data.
4. Remain in compliance with the laws of local and national governments, and not operate in manner that is in conflict with either or with Michigan Ross.
5. Limit the club president’s term of office to three years maximum. Presidents may not serve more than two terms unless granted written permission by the Michigan Ross Alumni Relations Office. Read more about the rationalization for club officer term lengths in the FAQs.
6. Develop and share with Alumni Relations a clear succession plan for officer positions that accounts for general club leadership turnover. For example, a succession plan might consist of explicit term limits for specific positions with 'officer-elect' roles waiting in the wings, semi-regular officer elections by all club members or board members, or one-to-one volunteer outreach and solicitation.
7. Have a minimum of two officers or leadership team members that convene in person or by phone at least once per year.
8. Work with Michigan Ross to support/host events in their region or affinity, such as a RossTalks or Michigan Ross at a Glance presentation, or Alumni Career Services virtual or in person activity.
9. Host, at minimum, the number of events described below per tier. (Scroll to the bottom of this page to view your club's tier.) Events must support regional alumni interests and further the Michigan Ross mission / four pillars of AlumniAdvantage (Lifelong Learning, Networking Career Services, and Volunteering).
*Student-centric events can be an admitted student happy hour, coffee or reception, accepted student send off, student trek reception, summer intern BBQ, etc.
Tier 1 Clubs- Five events per year:
- 3 events of your choice that support regional alumni interests and furthers the Ross AlumniAdvantage program ((At least 2 events must have a lifelong learning/professional development component))
- Host or support 2 student-centric events*
Tier 2 Clubs- Four events per year:
- 3 events of your choice that support regional alumni interests and furthers the Ross AlumniAdvantage program ((At least 1 event must have a lifelong learning/professional development component))
- Host or support 1 student-centric event*
Tier 3 Clubs- Three events per year:
- 2 events of your choice that support regional alumni interests and furthers the Ross AlumniAdvantage program
- Host or support 1 student-centric event*
Tier 4 Clubs- Two events per year:
- Host 1 lifelong learning, career development, or volunteering event of your choice that supports regional alumni interests and furthers the Ross AlumniAdvantage program
- Host or support 1 networking event or, if region-relevant, one student-centric event*